- This event has passed.
Technology, Service-Learning and Civic Education – The Case of Hong Kong Polytechnic University, 科技、服務學習與公民教育 – 香港理工大學案例, Stephen Chan 陳志輝教授
September 30, 2022 @ 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm
GBX Global Business Exchange全球經貿交流 主辦 Zoom 講座
主题: Technology, Service-Learning and Civic Education – The Case of Hong Kong Polytechnic University, 科技、服務學習與公民教育 – 香港理工大學案例
主講嘉賓: Stephen Chan 陳志輝教授
Consultant, Service-Learning and Leadership Office Hong Kong Polytechnic University
主持 : Tony Chan 尋寶船
美西時間 : September 30 (Friday) 7 pm
香港時間：October 1 (Saturday) 10 am
Service-Learning is increasingly recognized as an effective pedagogy for civic education. Students are taught to address the needs of the underprivileged in society. In return students learn civic responsibility and leadership; and more and more, engaging with diversity and internationalization.
- Technology can play a critical role in the process. At the core of the service (solar panels, STEM, health, living environment, artificial intelligence, …). To enable the teaching and the service, and to overcome challenges such as the pandemic (online teaching and service, global classroom, metaverse, …). To enable/stimulate innovation (mobile eye examinations, …).
- The talk focuses on the experience at Hong Kong Polytechnic University as a case study, but also covers broader, global trends. At PolyU, each year, 4,500 students take one of 70+ credit-bearing courses in service-learning, making it one of the largest and most comprehensive such programs in the world. 75% of the students serve in Hong Kong, 15% serve in mainland China, and 10% serve in foreign countries.
Dr. Stephen Chan Bio :
- Educated at Aberdeen Technical School & La Salle College (HK), University of Wisconsin-Madison and University of Rochester (USA)
- Academic background: electrical engineering and computer science
- Work and research experience: electronics design, computer graphics, industrial automation, data mining, human-computer interaction, service-learning. Worked in industry (USA & Canada), government research laboratory (Canada) & university (HK).
- Recent appointments at Hong Kong Polytechnic University: 1993-2016 Department of Computing (associate professor and associate head); 2012-2020 Office of Service-Learning (founding head, consultant). He has setup/led 20+ international service-learning projects in Cambodia, Vietnam, Myanmar, Kyrgyzstan, Rwanda, Indonesia, …
Tony Chan Bio